What is oDesk? it’s the “world largest workplace”.
How oDesk was born?
Example of E-commerce : find the right goods & delivering
Opportunity : jobs don’t exist where the talents live
So they want to : find the good worker – get delivered – pay
oDesk’s focus was to duplicate real life work experience
- – time based work and compensation
- – manage distributed workers
At first, oDesk built the platform to manage external workers
But there clients ask them to bring workers
Achievements to date:
- +500K clients
- +2.7M workers
- – workers are rated by clients
- – clients prefer quality over price
How to grow a 2 sided marketplace?
If you need to recruit for both sides, then rethink the business model => recruit for one side that brings the other
E.G.eBay / Open Table
“with jobs you have all the contractors”
- – at first, they were hand-curating : one client vs contractor
- – make sure clients are happy (they will come back)
- – at first they interviewed everyone
- – contractors bring others
- – clients bring others
- – better: clients bring contractors
- – even better: contractors bring clients
Qualifying clients : what they care about Quality / Price / Speed
Qualifying contractors: do they fill their profiles, portfolio etc.
Future of work:
World is moving to on demand work = “Talent as a Service”
- 1. internet: more bandwidth, more reach, Skype, desktop sharing
- 2. globalization: even SMB’s are expending worldwide
- 3. economy: making more for less
=> “By year 2020 : 1 out of 3 workers will work online”
The future of “corporate values” ?
- – opportunity for impact – feeling you are important
- – learning curve / growing development
- – fair compensation
- – balanced life (perso vs pro)
oDesk next steps
- – more big companies
- – growing more categories : accountant, lawyers etc.
- – going Global (2009: $0 to Bangladesh / 2012: 4th country)