Today is a big day, it’s the 3rd anniversary of the company we started when we still were students… so it’s also my birthday as a 3 years entrepreneur 🙂
Why is it a big day then ? Actually, it’s just a day like another. But, so many stats and people are saying that 90% of companies are failing before 3 years that it makes it special… hopefully I will be writing about my 4th years as entrepreneur next year ! Don’t know if we have succeeded yet, or if we are on the path to, but I can say for sure that I’ve succeeded in finding something I like to do !
Remember, your first day at school when you were 5, the teacher asked you the classic: present yourself, your age, what you like in life and what you want to do for a living when you will be grown-up. We all remember what we answered; some said Policeman, Fireman, Archaeologist, Veterinarian etc. I personally said “Astronaut” (I’m still dreaming of being an Astronaut in secret by the way)… but today I may have found what is the closest job to Astronaut : “entrepreneur”.
Yes, being what they called “entrepreneur”, a term I don’t like as it’s becoming hipster and press has over-used it, is the dreamed job.
I’ll try to list below why I like it, what I learned and things I still want to learn.
So what did I learn in 3 years :
- assign people work and like what they were delivering
- repeat explanations and be patient
- keep faith even in hard (financial) times
- convince people even in self-doubt
- manage sleep/food deprivation
- some technical skills
- some management skills
- and more
What I want to learn in the next few years :
- Be able to make faster decision
- Use the KPI’s, I’ve set up for my own work
- Learn to listen more and talk less
- Learn to build and design websites, UI, apps, platforms etc.
- Reinforce my Arabic skills
- Learn Spanish
- Understand the “String Theory”
- and more
Why I cannot go back to “traditional” job :
- Because there is no such feeling than being “free”
- Because building a product is wonderful
- Because building a team is even more
- Because creating value out of nothing is a real challenge
- Because if I want to sleep 1 hour more the morning I can
- and more
… maybe one day the majority of the class will answer to the teacher “entrepreneur” 🙂